Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tribute to Jimmy

My father is a legend. Rode a horse and a Harley. Was a lover (most of the time) and a fighter (rarely but sometimes). Went to war in his youth. Learned to fly a plane and rode a horse too, oh yea I said that. Came from a big family 7 boys 4 girls (one died at 6).
Bought a business with a brother after the war. Business was wiped out in the KC flood of '51.
Became a pipe fitter and loved the work for over 40 years. Met and married a feisty Italian-American girl in '49. Still married soon to be 60 years. Raised a family of 3, one was me
Loved and supported us all. Not much of a disciplinarian, too soft a heart.
Catholic faith is his base, still refers to his loving mother to this day. Great dancer, jokester, storyteller, bullshitter. Enjoys weddings, seeing nephews, nieces just being around family. Going to be 87 pretty soon. Repeats the same stories often. Doesn't hear everything the first time. Forgets names in the now but remembers all in the past. Reminisces about the long ago. Still got the gleam in his eye. Worries about that feisty Italian wife. They get cranky
with each other some time but you know their devotion is deep. Never was much for I love yous or hugs but we knew. Still today one of the best men I will ever know. When they ask me to list my heroes. They will always start with you, Jimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment