Sunday, March 29, 2009

Assault Weapons Should be Banned

I wish someone could explain to me why we allow assault weapons to be purchased by individuals in the U.S. I am no gun enthusiast but I understand the need by some in our country for rifles and shotguns for hunting purposes. I have a hard time seeing the need to make concealed handguns legal but will concede there are strong arguments from both sides of the issue. But automatic and semi-automatic assault weapons that can be purchased legally; give me a break! I guess we want to make sure that we can outgun law enforcement in this country. I don't see why we should protect the individual rights of the few who have the money to buy these weapons so they can go and shoot the shit out of paper cutouts on a firing range. Meanwhile thousands of these weapons are finding their way into the hands of criminals or Mexican Drug Cartels. We have become so afraid of the gun lobby in this country that any kind of rational discussion on this issue has become a political no-no. What logical purpose does allowing individuals to purchase military type weapons serve? Whats next, legalized hand grenades, used tanks, flame throwers? The Second Amendment was meant to allow the states to have an armed militia circa 1700's or a National Guard since the early 1900's. Of course we get the literal readers of our Constitution who point to the Second Amendment as their God-given right to have and hold almost any type of weapon to protect life and property. So far this minority's rights have been protected by our courts while crime and violence is on the increase and gun running has become a lucrative proposition on our Southern border with Mexico. Remember, I am talking about semi-automatic and automatic weapons. I believe that congress should take steps to outlaw the sale of these weapons to private citizens and keep them where they belong, in the hands of law enforcement and the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment