Friday, March 27, 2009

Blue Cross Blue Shield Blues

As an owner of a small business I will see our group Health Insurance skyrocket by 24% on May 1st if I keep the same deductible with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas. Blue Cross claims to have three deductible options, $500.00, $1,000.00 or $1,500.00. They call these levels 1 , 2 and 3. Our company has insured six employees at level 1 for several years but by staying on level 1 our rates would increase by $600.00 per month on May 1st. I looked at our options and decided that if our group went to level 3 our rates would "only" increase by $400.00 on the date mentioned earlier. So, trying to be a good business manager, I called the Big Blue the other day and requested a policy change for our group to level 3. The "matter of fact- that's the way it is" response I got was that we could not go to level 3. "What", I exclaimed, "are you kidding me, why"? The voice on the other end explained to me in no uncertain terms that you can only reduce your level by one per year. " That would only save our group a few dollars a month", I protested. " I'm sorry sir, that is our policy" was the respone. Now I ask you out there, if a policy states it has three options shouldn't there really be three options? As it is we really only have two options; stay on level 1 or go to level 2 but don't touch level 3. Blue Cross has us in a lose lose situation; either take it or leave it. Their rates jump every year and to cover their cash flow they come up with a goof ball policy like this. I'm sure this policy is stated somewhere in the 200 page manual they give you every year. I am currently looking at other insurance companies and hope to find something feasible for our group.
This situation points to the larger problem of Health Insurance in this country. Right now Health Insurance eats up almost any profit we make in our company, it's like we are all working 50 hours a week to cover our insurance. I can see why businesses are dropping coverage for their employees and why there are over 40 million Americans uninsured. Those of us who are doing the right thing by giving Health Benefits are getting nothing in the way of meaningful tax incentives. We need to stop debating this subject and get something done now. I don't care if it's Government or a Government Private Sector Partnership but please do something. This all has a ripple effect. I will be cutting my advertising dollars to make up for the added cost in Health Insurance. This obviously affects local newspapers, magazines, and radio and television stations who are all competing for a smaller piece of the advertising dollar pie. This situation will not go away by debating the same worn out point - counter points, the time for action is now.

1 comment:

  1. Who's DA MAN Bert? Very insightful blog! I would definitely shop around for other health insurance. Stick it to BIG BLUE!

    ReplyDelete