Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cable News Barrage

I admit I am an avid watcher of cable news; CNN and MSNBC. I don't know why because half the time I come away shaking my head. Campbell Brown's No Bias No Bull segment is a great example of what is wrong with 24 hour news reporting. She claims no bias but during this segment we get her views every night. On one of her shows she was lecturing the administration about getting its act together during the financial crisis and I wondered what made her an authority. She is a reporter and should spend more time reporting the news and less time giving us her "unbiased views". Her husband has worked for Fox News and the Republican Party. I wonder if this may shape her way of commenting on daily events. She has a right to her opinion but please do not try to make us believe that there is no bias or bull in her pontificating. She needs controversy to make her show appealing to viewers which in turn makes it appealing to advertisers. The more she can generate "spin" during her hour gives her a chance at better ratings and a longer shelf life for her program. It's all about money in the end. Her program can be interesting but don't deceive us with the notion that some how you are above it all with the "No Bias No Bull" schtick.

No comments:

Post a Comment